Marat Safin"s Schedule

Oct 1, 2008

French Tennis Magazine
法國網球雜誌 九月份號
September Issue

TRANSLATED from French to English BY Damita @ MTF
http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=658&page=779
He resurfaced where we expected him the less... Almost forgotten, the phoenix entered into the light during the last Wimbledon by joining the final fight after disturbing the trio which dominates tennis these days. Semi-finalist on the English grass (which is far from being his best surface), Marat Safin eliminated Novak Djokovic before giving in to Roger Federer. This "resurrection" didn't happen by chance and it was worth Tennis Magazine interviewing once again this still whimsical and endearing player that he is.
他在人們不再懷抱希望時忽而再度高調浮上檯面..在幾乎被遺忘之際,在今年溫網,這隻鳳凰擾亂了近年來主宰網壇三巨頭進入最後四強飛向光明再次閃亮。在英國的草地 (他最不擅長的場地),薩芬扳倒Djokovic一路打進四強,才敗在Roger 拍下。這次的"重生"絕對不是偶然,網球雜誌於是再次訪問這個始終令人又愛又不解的球員。

The temperamental Marat Safin, full of talent, tells us about his years of hardship and he doesn't mince his words when he speaks about the organisation of the tennis tour or about the pernicious aspect of some rules in the game. At the age of maturity, he has a clear view on himself, but becomes merciless for sermonizers. He can tease, he can even provoke when he uses a so not refined vocabulary, he can also show discretion when talking about his "little" sister Dinara and even show real admiration about the Nadal-Federer rivalry on top of the world's hierarchy.
才華洋溢的火爆薩芬跟我們分享這幾年的痛苦掙扎,對於主事者對於賽事安排及一些新規定所衍生的負面影響亦知無不言。在步入成熟年紀後,他更清楚地認清自己,但這些想法總被愛說教的人們大肆批評。他善於談笑,即便用不太修飾的語詞夜總能引起軒然大波,談到妹妹薩芬娜時展現犀利判斷能力,聊到Nadal 跟 Federer 的世界一二的競爭真心流露讚賞。
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v508/Damita1/Scan0007.jpg
One can sometimes forget that he, too, once was the world #1 and won 2 grand slam tournaments, the 2000 US Open and the 2005 Australian Open. He's not at the Olympics, where he could have potentially asked for a WC, and it's in the middle of his American summer that we've met him, for a straight conversation. Hold on tight, it really takes your breath away...
有時候人們可能忘了他也曾經登上世界第一,贏得兩座滿貫,2000年美網及 2005年澳網。他還沒參加奧運,他有可能會得到外卡,而我們在美國夏日賽季跟他碰面,暢所欲言。且慢慢閱讀,這段訪談精彩萬分,真的叫人為之瘋狂
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v508/Damita1/Scan0008.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v508/Damita1/Scan0009.jpg
Tennis Magazine: You surprised a lot of people during the last Wimbledon, first by beating Novak Djokovic, and then by reaching the semi-finals. Did you surprise yourself as well?

TS 溫網你跌破眾人眼鏡,不只打敗Djokovic,還闖進四強,你自己不驚訝嗎?
Marat Safin: First of all, I don't care at all what people think of me or expect from me. I'm satisfied with the life and the career I have had so far. Because the people who have an opinion on me, they know nothing about tennis for most of them. And those who are into this sport and know about tennis, they know how difficult it is to come back after being injured, and how difficult it is to travel weeks after weeks on tour for already 10 years. So sure this semi-final was a surprise, but I deserved it. I worked hard for it. It's been a few years now that I've had trouble to move on court, because of my knee which was painful. It was hard, believe me. Then I started working with Gumy (1) to try reverse the situation, because I was going through difficult times, and I wasn't enjoying being on court anymore. It wasn't easy for him to make me change the way I was moving on court, and to make me become faster. We worked hard for that...
MS 我一向不管人們怎麼看我或任何期許。對於現在的生活及網球生涯成就非常滿意。通常對我有意見的人,自己完全不懂網球; 而投入這項運動也有深刻體驗的人就知道受傷復出後的艱難、十年來一星期一星期馬不停蹄的比賽有多辛苦。所以,當然這次打入四強的確是個驚喜,但我是值得的。幾年來我不能在場上靈活移動,膝蓋實在太痛了,相信我。之後我開始跟gumy合作來逆轉情勢,因為我經歷太多挫折上場打球已經不再是種享受了。要改變我的移位習慣,變得更敏捷對他來說並不容易。我們在這方面真的下了好一番功夫......

TM: You had a switchback career in general. Were there moments when you worked hard but results didn't follow?
TM 你的職業生涯有沒有什麼時候你努力不懈,卻得不到該有的成果
MS: Again, you can't imagine how happy I am to be where I stand now. I don't care whether I'm 80th, 90th, or 150th. I was in the top 10, I was #1, I won 2 grand slam titles, when at the age of 16-17, when my sponsor dumped me, I really thought I'd never have the possibility to hit the tour. Finding money was an emergency, and I was lucky that IMG came to me...
MS 我再強調一次,你無法相像此刻我能達到這境地我有多快樂。不管我是80名、90名還是150名。我曾經達到頂尖,手擁兩座滿貫,當我在16-17歲贊助人棄我而去時,我根本沒想到自己能有機會參加巡迴比賽,那時情況非常緊急,很幸運地IMG在關鍵時刻跟我接觸...

TM: When was that?
TM 那是什麼時候
MS: In 1997 (2). I even had to borrow money to go to Roland Garros. So when I hear people judging me, I think they'd better keep their opinions for themselves and cut me some slack. And there are a lot of them, especially people in the world of tennis who say "He should have done this or that", and when I hear that I want to be somewhere else. But in fact I don't care. When I look back, I think I've had a great life and an amazing career. I really did all I could do, so why should I regret anything? Trust me, I don't regret a thing.
MS 1997年 (2),我甚至得借錢去參加法網。因此當我聽到那些評斷,我認為他們不需大放厥詞並且饒了我吧。有很多人,尤其是網球圈界的總說"他應該這樣,那應該那樣",只要我一聽到,當場我只想馬上遠離,事實上我真的不在乎。當我回顧過去,我總覺得自己有美好的人生、燦爛的職業生涯。我付出了我所能,那麼我為什麼要後悔什麼呢? 告訴你,我從沒後悔過什麼。

TM: Tell us more about this moment at the beginning of your career when you had no money to travel.
TM 可以談談在你沒錢旅行,事業才剛開始的事情嗎
MS: I was ranked 450th, and my sponsor told me they would provide no more financial help. So I went back to Moscow for 2 months, until that day when IMG offered me to go play the junior tournament in Roland Garros. My mom gave me her last $500 and told me: "Go, and make a good use of them". If she hadn't given me this money to buy the plane ticket, I wouldn't have been to Paris, that's as simple as that. But this, people can't see. They see me on tv and say: "ah, what a life he has this guy! He plays for one hour and a half only, and earns a lot of money". But they don't see how I work all year long, and the hard times I've been through during these last 10 years.
MS 我排名450,贊助人告訴我他無法再提供經濟上的支援,我回到莫斯科2個月...直到有一天IMG說要幫我參加法網青少年比賽。我媽把儘剩的 500塊給我說"去吧,好好把握這筆錢,發揮它的用處"。如果她沒給我錢買機票,我就去不成巴黎,事情就這麼簡單。但是這些,人們不明白這些。他們看我在電視便道"阿,這人活得真得意! 他只不過打個一個半小時就能賺那麼多錢"。但他們沒看到我整年都在為此努力,及過去十年來 我經歷的所有風風雨雨。

TM: These hard moments you've been through, do they make you appreciate your life on tour even more now?
MS: Of course. A lot of people think it's granted, and that, because you have some talent, it's enough to lead you to the top 10. But that's bullshit. You have to work a lot on court and off court to continue to improve, because the quality of the circuit never stopped to improve in 10 years. And I'm still there. Even when I lose 6 times in a row in the first round, I'm hanging there, I keep on spending hours and hours at the gym. I'm not doing it for money. I'm doing it because I still like tennis and I think I still have my word to say on tour. Right now I'm #38, but with one tournament I can enter the top 20. But even there, people would still find a way to criticize me and say I should have won this or that match, i should have won the 2002 Australian Open. They can take the racket and do it for me if they want to. But professional tennis is difficult, it's not a Playstation game.

TM: Do you enjoy yourself everytime you're on court?
TM 每次上場你都樂在其中嗎
MS: Of course not. You can not enjoy it every day. You can have a bad day because you had an argument with someone, or because you woke up grumpy. We're humans, not machines. Why did Federer lose to Karlovic in Cincinnati, or to Simon in Toronto? There are immediately people who came to the conclusion that he's time is over. No, why would it be over? Maybe the guy just has a bad moment, maybe he has private issues, we don't know. I'm just saying, one can't be at their best every day. It's easy to feel good when everything you try on court succeeds. But the day when you serve badly, when you have a little injury, when you don't 'feel' the ball well... it's different. But you have to hang in there, and wish the next day will be better.
MS 當然不可能,怎可能天天都樂在其中呢。有些天感覺很糟,因為跟人吵架或起床心情就不好了。我們是人,不是機器。為什麼 Federer 在 Cincinnati 跟 Toronto 輸給 Karlovic 或simon ? 事情發生後,馬上有好事者開始預測他的時代已經結束。沒有這回事,為什麼會結束? 也許那天他不舒服,也許他私底下有煩心的事情,我們不曉得背後的原因。我的意思是沒有人能夠天天都有完美表現的。 如果你在場上表現的都盡如預期,自然你很容易就開心了。可是有些日子你發球不行,有點小傷,或者你就是沒有"球感"...那便很不一樣了。只不過,你還是要堅持下去,希望明天會天好。

TM: Tell us about Hernan Gumy, with whom you've been working since last year. It seems he brought a lot to your game.
TM 談談去年開始跟你合作的 GUMY,感覺他給你很多想法
MS: Yes, he's a great coach, very patient. Patience is actually one of his main qualities, because he can meticulously explain to you all the aspects of something you have to improve. The way he details the technique, the movement, the tactics, I appreciate it a lot. He knows tennis very well.
MS 是,他是很棒的教練,很有耐性。耐心基本上是他最主要的優點,他會小心地跟你解釋你應該改善的地方。他詳細談論技術,移位及戰術的方式,我非常喜歡。他真的很懂網球。

TM: Some coaches are good for some players but not for others. As far as you're concerned, what do you look for in a coach?
TM 有些教練對某些球員是助力,對其他卻不然。對你來說,聘雇教練時你如何判斷
MS: He mustn't be a pain in the ass, with military methods. He mustn't tell me that I have to do things this or that way, that I have to be on court all day, etc. No, I want to work, but I also want to enjoy it. Daily routine kills me, and this is something Gumy understands very well, he knows how to vary our work sessions. Some days he's pushing me, and some days he slows down. Each day is different.
MS 他不要囉嗦麻煩,像軍事教官般按表操課,他不能叫我要做這個或要怎麼做,或者督促我整天都要在場上練習..之類的。沒錯,我想好好工作,但同時我也想要享受這份工作。固定的例行行程讓我發瘋,gumy對於這點非常瞭解,他知道怎麼安排不同的進度。有些時候他會盯比較緊,有些時候他會放鬆。每天都不盡相同

TM: Is your aversion for daily routine the reason why you had so many coaches in your career?
TM 因為你討厭天天既定不變的練習方式,所以才會換那麼多教練嗎
MS: Actually I didn't have much coaches. In fact, I had none for several years, and Volkov was sometimes travelling with me, as a friend. Gumy is only the 4th one. 4 coaches in 10 years, that's not many. Argentine and French players change every week! ( so true) For a long time I couldn't find someone to travel with me, someone who fitted me. Then Lundgren arrived. But because of the pain in my knee, at some point I didn't know if I could continue this career or not, I was suffering too much...
MS 事實上我沒有很多教練呀,有好長一陣子我沒有教練,VOLKOV 有時會陪著我旅行,但是是朋友的身份罷了。gumy 是第四位教練,10年4個教練,並不多吧。阿根廷跟法國球員每個禮拜換教練哩。有很長一段時間我找不到適合的人選陪我旅行,那時 Lungren出現了,後來我飽受膝蓋疼痛之苦,曾有一度懷疑自己的事業是不是已經玩完了,我那時真的很痛苦...

TM: Did you think about quitting?
TM 你有想過要放棄嗎
MS: Yes, in 2006. Even doctors were telling me to stop, cuz it really hurt too much. So I thought I'd play until the end the end of the year, even with the pain, and then if things didn't get better I would quit. But I didn't want Peter (Lundgren) to be jobless if it happened, so I spoke to him frankly, and we decided it would be better for him that we splitted before. Then I started feeling better, and for some time I started travelling again with Volkov, to have a friend by my side. And now, my knee hasn't been hurting for a while. As Volkov couldn't travel any longer, Gumy came to me and I told him we should try workign together, without putting pressure on any of us. And it's working really well.
MS 有,2006年時。因為實在太痛了,甚至連醫生都勸我放棄,當時我想那就撐到年底,即使還是痛就撐看看,如果疼痛還是沒有改善那麼我就放棄了。可是我不想PETER 因此失業,所以我很誠實地告訴他,我們決定兩個人還是先結束合作關係比較好。之後我的症狀好轉,那一陣子我又開始跟VOLKOV一起旅行,有個朋友陪在身邊。而現在,我的膝蓋已經很久沒困擾我了,而 VOLKOV 也無法再陪我旅行,GUMY來找我,我告訴他我們應該試著合作看看,不要給彼此壓力,目前為止一切都很順利。

TM: As you wanted to quit 2 years ago, do you see things in a different way now? Do you think you have a second chance?
TM 既然你兩年前一度想放棄﹐現在看事情角度是否不同? 你覺得自己還有機會嗎?
MS: It's another time now. I'm not 20 anymore you know. My personality is what it is, it's hard to change it now. I know what I like to do, and I know what I like less, that's it. And now I see things differently. I want to have fun, I don't want to put pressure on me, I don't want to worry for whatever reason. I have goals of course, but my philosophy is different now. I'm more experienced, I want to achieve things, I'm not saying the easy way, but let's say with less stress.
MS 現在是不同的階段了﹐我已不再是20歲的小子了﹐我的個性是怎樣也很難改變。我清楚我喜歡做什麼﹐不喜歡做什麼﹐因此看待人事自然觀點跟以前不同。我只想好好享受﹐不要有壓力﹐也不想為某事擔心憂慮。當然我有目標﹐但人生哲學不一樣了。我有歷練﹐我也想有所成就﹐我知道那不容易﹐只是想給自己少一點壓力。


TM: What are the achievements you're the most proud of?
TM 你最引以為傲的成就為何?
MS: First of all, I'd say winning the Australian Open on my 3rd attempt. Especially after losing the final in 2002. But I'm also proud of having being strong enough to win the US Open, which I really didn't expect. And I should have won Roland Garros in 2003, the year when I lost to Ferrero in the semi-finals. (hell yeah ) But anyway I managed to reach the semi-finals of all the Grand Slam tournaments, and not many guys did that (3). And the last one I reached at quite an advanced age, which isn't that bad. I also won 5 Masters Series, that's quite a lot in a career, no?
MS 第一個﹐我想是在兩度失利後﹐終於拿到澳網冠軍吧﹐特別是輸掉2002決賽之後。而我也很驕傲自己一路堅持﹐奪得自己從未想到的2000年美網冠軍。2003年法網﹐四強時負於Ferrero﹐那個冠軍我應該拿的。但不管如何﹐我在四個滿貫都能打進四強﹐網壇裡沒有幾個人做到 (3)。而最後一個四強是在職業生涯的後期才達到﹐那也很值得慶幸。我有5座大師賽冠軍杯﹐挺不錯的職業生涯﹐可不是?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v508/Damita1/Scan0010.jpg
TM: That's true, but you forget a major event, the Davis Cup, that you won twice even. How do you explain that you've always done so well in this competition?
TM 沒錯﹐但你忘了另一個重要大事﹐DAVSI CUP﹐你曾為國家拿過兩次冠軍。你怎麼解釋自己在DAVIS CUP 總能保持優異戰蹟。
MS: The reason is that we have a great team. We can even make 2 completely different teams, and both would be strong enough to go quite far. And also in our team, we don't put a lot of pressure on each guy. We don't go out for dinner all together every evening, we don't spend all our time all together, we don't organize a gazillion staff meetings to discuss what we'll do the next day. There is no pressure. Youzhny goes out with his friends, Davydenko spends his time with his family, Tursunov goes out with some friends, Andreev with his, so do I. Other teams almost spend all of their time all together. I don't why, maybe because they like it this way. As for us, we organize our time so that we don't feel the pressure. If we want to play football together, we do. In fact, we don't even play doubles together the rest of the year.
MS 理由是因為我們是很強大的隊伍﹐甚至我們可以分成兩隊﹐還是能有極強的戰力。在我們的隊伍裡﹐我們不給彼此多餘的壓力。我們沒有每晚一同吃飯﹐也不是從早到晚都聚在一起﹐我們更不會開幾百個會討論隔天要做什麼﹐一切是沒有壓力的。Youzhny跟他的朋友出去﹐Davydenko 跟家人相聚﹐ Tursunov跟他的好友們去玩﹐Andreev和我也是一樣。其他國家隊伍整日都在一起﹐我不懂為何要如此﹐也許他們喜歡這種方式吧。我們則是妥善安排我們的時間﹐所以大家不會有壓力。如果我們想一起踢球﹐我們就踢。事實上﹐我們除了比賽期間﹐我們也不曾一起練習雙打。

TM: But you seem to always find the inspiration to play your best tennis, a lot more than for individual tournaments. Is the feeling that you're playing for your country the main reason?
TM 但你好像總能被激勵打出你最佳代表作﹐比你個人比賽更棒。是因為這是為國家而戰嗎
MS: It's true that it's nice to feel that a whole team is showing support ebhind you. I like the atmosphere of these matches. It makes me feel good. And as I told you, I play with zero pressure, and that's what matters. When you don't feel much pressure, playing is easy.
MS 有整個團隊在背後支持你感覺真的很好﹐我喜歡這種比賽的氣氛﹐我總能被激發。而就如我告訴你的﹐我在無壓力的情況下打球﹐那是關鍵。當你沒有壓力時﹐打球是如此輕而易舉。

TM: And you've already told how much you value Shamil Tarpishev, your captain.
TM 你也曾表示你對Tarpishev評價很高﹐也就是你們隊長。
MS: Yes, that's true, this guy knows what he's doing, he's smart, he doesn't put useless pressure on you when you're switching courtside, he's not speaking to you for 4 hours to tell you what you shall or shall not do on court. He only gives you one or two pieces of advice, then he helps you calm down a little when you're frustrated, and he cheers you up when you need it, he's doing his job, he's really an excellent captain. I see a lot of big names in tennis who became Davis Cup captains and who don't do 1/10 of the work he's doing. That's a proof you don't need to be a superstar to be a good captain. But that's someone intelligent, who knows to speak to each player in a different manner.
MS 是的﹐沒錯﹐他知道自己在幹什麼﹐他很聰明﹐在換場時他不會給你無謂的壓力﹐他也不會四小時長篇大論告訴你應該如何。他只是給幾個小建議﹐你沮喪時他試著幫你恢復平靜﹐在你需要時他給你加油﹐他做得很好﹐是位優秀的隊長。我知道有很多大人物當DAVIS CUP隊長﹐卻沒能做到他的1/10。你並不需要超級巨星來當隊長﹐這就是最佳證明。我們要的是有智慧的人﹐他瞭解如何因材施教之道﹐對不同隊員適當的方式談話。

TM: Are you disappointed that you didn't take part in the Olympic Games in Beijing?
TM 你有因沒能去北京奧運而感到失望嗎
MS: Not really. I never played well at Olympic Games. I could have asked for a WC and I think I could have easily got one. But first of all Beijing is really far, and then the year schedule is really bad. Especially as we're going to Argentina for Davis Cup in September. No, really, the schedule was really badly made this year. Not only this year actually. Look after Bercy for example, we have one week off and then it's Shanghai (the Masters), then another week off, and then the final of Davis Cup. So, if we reach the final of Davis Cup, we have no time to rest. Common sense would have been to schedule the Davis Cup final the week after Shanghai. But now there are 3 weeks between Bercy and the Davis Cup final, then 4 weeks before the beginning of the next season. So we can't go on vacations, and our schedule really is tough. ATP should care about the problem because the way it is now isn't working.
MS 沒有﹐我從來在奧運都表現不好。我可以申請外於﹐我想那是挺容易的。但北京實在太遠了﹐行程安排又很糟﹐而我們九月還要到阿根廷打DAVIS CUP 。不會﹐真的﹐今年的賽程安排太不理想了﹐也不只有今年。舉 巴黎大師杯(bercy)為例﹐休息一個禮物之後又是上海年終大師杯﹐再休息一個禮拜﹐又是DAVIS CUP決賽﹐所以假如我們打進DAVIS CUP決賽﹐根本沒時間休假。大家都知道﹐把DAVIS CUP決賽排在上海大師杯之後是較好的安排。而現在的情形時﹐巴黎跟DAVIS CUP中間還相隔3 個禮拜﹐下一賽季開始時只剩四個禮拜﹐我們不能去度假﹐賽程太緊了。ATP 應該正視這個問題﹐因為現在這樣是行不通的。


TM: You attended the Olympic Games twice, and didn't have good results (4). Do you think the Olympics are as important as Grand Slam tournaments though, like some champions likes Federer said?
TM 你曾參加兩次奧運﹐結果都不理想 (4)。你認為奧運跟滿貫一樣重要嗎﹐像Federer 說的。
MS: To each his opinion. Look, Roddick didn't go there, neither did Fish... Of course it's great to play for Russia, but for us tennis players the top tournaments are the Grand Slam tournaments. Sure, it's an honor to play the Olympics, there's some atmosphere, but our priority remains the 4 Grand Slam tournaments, and it'll always be this way.
MS 那是他的意見。你看﹐ Roddick跟 Fish都沒參加。當然為俄羅斯出賽很棒﹐但對網球員來說﹐頂極的比賽仍是大滿貫。當然﹐參加奧運是種殊榮﹐那裡也有特別的氛圍﹐不過我們的還是優先考量大滿貫比賽﹐一直都是這樣的。

TM: Apart from the not so good results you had there, what do you remember of your 2 participations?
TM 除了兩次不佳的表現外﹐你還有什麼其他印象
MS: Sydney was nice, but in Athens the organization wasn't good to be honest. I was expecting much better. The food wasn't very good, balls were horrible. It depressed me a little.
MS 悉尼很不錯﹐老實說﹐雅典辦得不好﹐我感到失望﹐餐點不好﹐比賽球也糟﹐那時我心情有些沮喪。

TM: Do you enjoy watching other sports?
TM 你喜歡看其他運動嗎
MS: No, I don't follow any sport. Really none.
MS 不﹐我並沒有特別關注什麼運動﹐真的沒有。

TM: So let's go back to Wimbledon, where Federer beat you in the semi-finals. Did you watch the final then?
TM 那麼我們再回到溫網﹐四強時你輸給Federer。你有看決賽嗎
MS: No. I don't like watching matches. I'm not really interested.
MS 沒有﹐我不喜歡看球賽﹐我沒什麼興趣。

TM: Oh so you missed a historical final...
TM 喔﹐那麼你錯過了一個歷史性的決賽了。。
MS: Yeah, yeah, sure, that was a great final, but I wasn't tempted to watch it...
MS 是阿﹐沒錯﹐那是個精典決賽﹐但我就沒興緻看呀。

TM: What do you think of these 2 huge champions Federer and Nadal are?
TM 你怎麼看 Federer 及 Nadal這兩位偉大的球員呢
MS: For sure they have something more than other players. Nadal is unbelievably athletic. He's fast. He gives you the feeling his hand movement isn't too good, but in fact his hand is exceptional. He's still improving, and he can play on all surfaces. As for Federer, he's got an amazing technique, and he moves perfectly. He can do everything with a ball, and that's what makes him so good to watch playing.
MS 他們跟其他球員不同。Nadal 有過人的體力﹐速度很快﹐表面上你會覺得他手不是很靈活﹐但其實他手感絕佳﹐他還在進步中﹐所有的場地都能打。而Federer﹐他的技術高超﹐他移位近乎完美。他可以打出各種球路﹐所以看他打球總是賞心悅目。
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v508/Damita1/Scan0011.jpg
TM: You've been #1. What do you think when you see for how many weeks in a row Federer remained #1?
TM 你曾是第一﹐ 你怎麼看Federer 這麼多周保持第一
MS: He's at another level comparing to the other guys on tour. No doubt about this. To remain #1 for 4 years, and with such a gap with the other guys, is unbelievable. You really have to be special to achieve this. Because a lot of guys have been #1 at some point. Kafelnikov, Rafter, Hewitt, Moya or Kuerten all reached the #1 spot. But someone like Federer, we had never seen that. He has so many more options than other players, on his forehand, on his backhand, on serve... He sees the ball earlier than the others. He really deserved being on top for 4 years. He deserves to win a few more Grand Slam titles. We'll see if Nadal allows him to.
MS 跟其他球員比起來﹐他已經是另一個層次了﹐那是毫無疑問的。4年保持第一﹐且跟其他球員積分還有一段差距﹐那實在不可思議。有這樣的成就﹐你必定是異於常人的﹐因為很多人都曾短暫登上第一﹐比如Kafelnikov, Rafter, Hewitt, Moya 或 Guga。但像Federer這樣的第一 是前所未見。他有太多武器﹐正手﹐反手﹐或者發球﹐他比別人判斷更快﹐他4年來維持第一是實至名歸的﹐他也絕對值得再拿更多滿貫。我們且看看Nadal會不會給他機會囉。

TM: Do you think he will?
TM 你覺得他會嗎
MS: I have some doubts, but you never know. These last weeks he didn't play too well, but we don't know how he'll react. On the other side, Nadal is playing very well, Djokovic is hungry, Murray is doing miracles, he won Cincinnati for instance. It will be difficult then, for both of them. Because other players are hungry and want to beat them. Nowadays the guys give everything they have against him. Guys like Simon or Karlovic for instance, and it can make things complicated for him. But I still have faith in him. He can still bounce.
MS 我有些懷疑﹐但事情總難說得準。過去幾周他打得不好﹐但我們不知道他如何面對這一切﹐而另外一方面﹐ Nadal 越打越好﹐ Djokovic 渴望勝利﹐Murray 傳奇才正開始﹐贏了辛辛那提。對於他們兩個來說都是艱距﹐因為很多人都有強烈企圖心要打敗他們﹐他們會截盡所能。像Karlovic或Simon這些人﹐會讓他未來之路更多變數。但我還是對他深具信心﹐他仍能活躍自如的。

TM: How did you feel when you became #1?
TM 當你登上第一時是什麼感覺
MS: I didn't have the time to enjoy it. I injured myself not long after it. And because of the ATP stupid rules I couldn't stay #1 for too long. I injured myself in Dubai, and I was seeded #1 in Indian Wells and Miami so I had to play whatever it'd cost me, or my bonus would have been reduced to the minimum. And we're talking about a million and a half dollars here. For a 20 year old guy who is just starting to earn big amounts of money, that's quite a big sum. The rule said that for each Masters Series we didn't play at, we lost 30% of our bonus. So I played even if I had torn an intercostal muscle and I couldn't serve, and slipped to the 13th rank within only 5 months. So some would tell me "yeah but you should have stopped for a few weeks even though that would have cost you $1,5 million". That's easy to say, I wish I had seen these people make that choice for themselves. But I think I made the right choice, and after that it wasn't easy to come back. But I came back nonetheless, reached the #3 spot which isn't that bad, but in the meantime it cost me 5 months before I started feeling better.
MS 我沒有什麼時間去感受那份快樂﹐沒多久我就受傷了﹐而又因為ATP 愚蠢的規則﹐我沒辦法維持太久。在DUBAI 我受傷了﹐而我在Miami 跟 Indian Wells 都是第一種子﹐不管什麼代價我都得要上場去打﹐否則我的獎金會大大減少﹐這裡談的可是一百多萬的東西。對於一個20歲才剛開始賺大錢的年輕小伙子來說﹐那是很大的數字。規則說只要少打一個大師賽﹐就減少30%的獎金。所以即使肌肉裂傷也無法發球﹐我還是上場去打﹐在5個月內排名便下滑至13名。有些人告訴我 "你應該早一點停止比賽的﹐即使是150萬美金的代價也一樣" 。講太容易了﹐不知講的人碰到這種情形時自己會怎麼選擇。不管如何﹐我復出了﹐又回到第三名﹐那也不差﹐但也我折磨了五個月後身體才舒服一些。
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v508/Damita1/Scan0012.jpg
TM: Let's talk about your sister Dinara, who reahed the final of Roland Garros. It must have been touching for you, even though you weren't there.
TM 說說打進法網決賽的妹妹Dinara吧﹐就算你沒在現場﹐一定也很感動吧
MS: She deserved it. She had a tough period at the beginning of the year, she lost in the first round of the Australian Open. Then she took the right decisions, which isn't an easy thing to do for a 22 year old girl. She stopped working with Heinz Günthardt and chose to travel with Zeljko Krajan, and it seems it is working since she lost only 2 matches in 5 months. She has so much confidence. I'm really, really happy for her, especially after the personal issues she had 2 years ago. Now she's one of the hottest players on the women's tour.
MS 她也是實至名歸的。今年年初她經歷掙扎﹐澳網第一輪就出局﹐之後她做了一個對22歲女孩不容易的決定﹐她結束跟Heinz Gunthardt合作而跟Zeljko Krajan一起旅行﹐而這似乎起了很大的作用。她充滿自信﹐我真的﹐真的為她高興﹐尤其是經過了兩年前她自己的一些問題。現在﹐她是女網裡最夯的球員。

TM: Are you close?
TM 你們很親近嗎
MS: (hesitating) Yeah, I guess. Like a brother and a sister can be. We don't talk everyday but that's normal. She can text me one day and then not send me anything for 2 weeks. Right now for instance, I know she just won and that's great. I'm happy for her. And maybe she won't text me until I see her in New York, and that's fine, for her and for me.
MS (猶豫) 我想是吧﹐就像一般的兄妹。我們沒有每天通話﹐但那很正常吧。有時候她會傳簡訊給我﹐之後兩個禮拜都沒消息。像現在﹐我知道她又贏了﹐那太好了﹐我為她高興。或許在紐約會面前她都不會給我什麼訊息﹐那也無妨﹐對她對我都一樣。

TM: Did you think about going to Paris to support her?
TM 你有想到去巴黎為她加油嗎
MS: No, not really. She was playing well, I thought I'd better watch the final on tv, and not make a big fuss which would have put pressure on her. I would have been in the player's box, and they would have showed images of me on Eurosport and say "here, the brother is there with the whole family" which would have blow it up out of all proportion. No, she was doing a great job, and she had people around her to cheer her up, the mother, the father, the coach. It was enough, I'm cool with that, and so is she.
MS 沒有。她打得很好﹐我覺得我應該看電視而不是到現場引起騷動給她壓力。如果我在球員包廂﹐Eurosport 一定會轉播我這邊說 "看看﹐哥哥跟全家都在這裡"﹐那只會帶來反果。她打得很好﹐也有人為她加油﹐爸爸﹐媽媽﹐教練﹐那就夠了。我覺得這樣很好﹐她也是。

TM: You'll play the Hopman Cup together next January. That'll be a first.
TM 明年一月你們會搭檔參加Hopman CUP
MS: Yes, it'll be nice. We'll play mixed doubles together for the first time, and I think we'll have a great time.
MS 是阿﹐很棒。我們將第一次挑戰男女混雙﹐我想我們會合作愉快的。

TM: To conclude, how would you describe the man Marat Safin?
TM 總結而言﹐你怎麼形容 薩芬這個男人呢
MS: Very tough character. Very stubborn. Impatient, in the good and the wrong sense... Maybe because I tend to be too much of a perfectionist and sometimes I'm too harsh with myself. But I think it helped my career. I have qualities and I have failings. Being impatient and being stubborn means that when I really want something, I'll have it no matter what. If I don't want to practice, I won't. If I have to be somewhere, I'll make sure I'm there if I'm convinced that it's important. And if I want something, I want it now. Not tomorrow, now. If I want a car, I want it now. If I want an apartment, same thing. I hate to wait. Sometimes on court impatience can be bad for you, but it can also help you to reach your goals.
MS 不服輸的個性﹐非常固執。沒有耐性﹐有好有壞.....也許因為我是完全主義者﹐所以會對自己太嚴苛﹐但某一層面來說那對我的事業是有助益的。我有好的個人特質﹐也有弱點。沒有耐性又固執﹐所以如果我想要什麼﹐不管怎樣我就一定要得到﹐如果我不想練習﹐我絕不上場。如果我必須參加什麼活動去什麼地方﹐如果評估它的重要性我一定會去。我想要什麼東西﹐我現在就要到手﹐不能等到明天﹐馬上就要。如果我想買一台車﹐我立刻會去買﹐公寓﹐也是一樣﹐我討厭等待。在球場上﹐有時候沒耐性不太好﹐但它也可能幫你完成夢想。

--------------------------------------------------------
(1) Hernan Gumy is a former Argentine player who reached the 39th rank in the world in 1997. He's the coach of several players like Guillermo Cañas, Guillermo Coria, and for a short time of Gustavo Kuerten.
GUMY 過去是阿根廷球員﹐1997年曾達39名。他曾經指導 Canas, Coria 和 Guga.

(2) That year, at the age of 17, Marat lost in the first round of the junior tournament against Brazilian player Alexandre Simoni.
17歲那年﹐薩芬在青少年比賽第一輪輸給巴西球員 Alexandre Simoni.
(3) Other guys still playing who reached the semi-finals of all Grand slam tournaments are Roger Federer, Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal, and David Nalbandian.
現役球員四大滿貫都曾進入四強的有 Federer, Djokovic, Nadal 及 Nalbandian.
(4) He lost in first round in 2000 against Fabrice Santoro, and in second round in 2004 against Feliciano Lopez.
2000 年第一輪他輸給 Santoro﹐2004 年負卡 Feliciano Lopez.

No comments: