Translated from Russian
“We have won before and we will win now”
by Sergey Bregovskiy
Russia’s DC team captain Shamil Tarpischev said that our opponents – the Argentine team are a very strong team with very stable players and also announced that he has decided who will play the singles matches. Marat Safin announced that Russian had beaten
俄羅斯DAVIS CUP (DC) 隊長表示﹐我們決賽的對手阿根廷是堅強的隊伍﹐隊員表現穩定﹐並公單打名單。 薩芬說﹐俄羅斯曾擊敗阿根廷﹐這次絕對會再重演好戲碼。
As a preview of the DC final on Tuesday Olympiyski Sports Complex hosted a Russian team press-conference attended by our captain Shamil Tarpischev, Marat, Safin, Mikhail Youzhny, Nikolay Davydenko and Dmitry Tursunov.
星期二﹐在DC 決賽之前﹐俄羅斯隊長及成員-薩芬﹑尤茲尼﹑達維登科及屠薩夫 在Olympiyski運動場舉行記者會。
A few days ago Davydenko’s wedding took place in
Obviously the first question was related to Davydenko’s wedding.
- A question for Shamil Tarpischev. Won’t the celebrations that have just finished interfere with the team’s preparations for the match?
Who said they have finished? Weddings don’t last one day we are still celebrating. On a more serious note though, we are acting in accordance with our plan and schedule, all is well.
- A question for Marat Safin. You have played
I have good memories about those meetings. We beat them twice and lost once. They are definitely a strong team but we won before and we will win this time.
- A question for Shamil Tarpischev. Argentines said they are happy with a surface chosen for the match, that it’s not as fast as they thought it would be. Can you comment on that?
We laid the court for ourselves in the first place and not for our opponents, it suits us perfectly. If we have done it faster it would have not been comfortable neither for us nor for the Argentines, so we preferred to meet halfway.
- A question for Nikolay Davydenko. You lost against Nalbandian in
First of all, I lost against him in 2005 and not in 2006. Second of all, it wo
n’t be me who will be playing Nalbandian on Friday.
- A question for Shamil Tarpischev. They say Diego Maradona is coming to support his team in
Kalashnikov* (laughter in the audience). The most important thing is that practically all tickets are sold out. Possible that high officials will visit this match. Our supporters will be there for us and we don’t really care who supports
- A question for Marat Safin. During one of the matches against Argentines you had spent over 6 hours on court, are you ready to do it again?
The team has had additions since then. We have many options and a choice of who would play a certain match. As for me – I am ready to play any match if it’s necessary.
- A question for Shamil Tarpischev. What has changed in both teams since our 0:5 loss last time?
Argentines have a more stable team now that allows them to play practically on any surface. However, our team has also left the times of when we would only play on one surface far behind. Therefore it will all depend on players’ conditions. As for that last match, our main player – Safin was absent and the youngsters that are now the base of the team were not ready at the time. Right now the team is well balanced for playing on different surfaces.
- A question for Mikhail Youzhny. You suffered an injury not long ago, but managed to get back to normal. What’s the secret of such speedy recovery and are you ready to play?
I am totally ready for the match. Whether I would play or not is a captain’s decision to make. As for my speedy recovery I have undergone rehabilitation on a medical centre of Evgeniy Blum.
我完全準備好了。會不會上場由隊長決定。有關快速復原的問題﹐我是在Evegeniy Blum 醫學中心進行復健的。
- A question for Shamil Tarpischev. Have you already decided who will play the singles matches?
I think so. But sometimes it turns out that I have to change my decision at the very last minute. Right now I will obviously not say anything.
- Mr. Tarpischev what’s a financial content of the final match? What’s the prize fund and if there addition stimuli for the players?
In accordance with recommendations of the ITF. The prize fund will be split 50/50 between the national tennis federation and the players. There are additional stimuli. When we won the Davis Cup there were organisations that wanted to issue additional bonuses for the players.
- A question for Shamil Tarpischev. The Tennis Federation has supported the idea of holding Winter Olympics in
The whole country did. How can it be any different?